Our Family

Monday, May 11, 2009

Nerdtacular 2009!!

Tyler and I were able to head down to Salt Lake City this weekend and visit some friends that we haven't seen in about 3 years or so. It was awesome to see them!

While were down there (and this was really the purpose for the trip) we went to the ExtraLife Nerdtacular event put on by a guy that does a web comic and podcast that both Tyler and I are fans of. Every year, Scott (the guy behind www.myextralife.com) hosts a listener appreciation event. He rents a movie theater, picks a nerdy-ish movie, and then hosts all of the out-of-towners at a BBQ at his house. It was tons of fun! By far, the best Mother's Day present I've gotten, I think!

The movie this year was Star Trek. I just have to say that as a lifelong Trekkie, I was VERY skeptical of this movie. This is definitely something that I have wanted to see for a long time, and I rarely trust Hollywood to do things right... So when I saw this movie yesterday, I was stunned and thrilled and amazed and became a Trekkie all over again.

I thought the actors they chose (while I will always love and cherish the original actors) were perfect for the parts and carried the little things over really well (such as the sayings and looks, etc.) The traditional "beam me up, Scotty" and Spock's eyebrow were present, as they should be, along with all of the little interactions between the different characters that I have always loved so much. The story was riveting, although a little confusing at first, since I was so used to the original stories. (I'm trying really hard to NOT give away anything, so if you're confused, just go see the movie. It will all make sense then...) The special effects were amazing, especially when compared to the old movies! :) All of the cool stuff that they do with the digital stuff these days... WOW!!!

All in all, it was a great movie experience that left me wanting more of the newly re-created universe! This is definitely a movie that I would recommend to all of my friends/family. This is one of the must-see movies on my list, and I don't have many of those. Hope you all enjoy it!

I'll post some pictures soon!

The rest of the Nerdtacular was really fun too. Tristan said over and over again how he felt like he was at home with all of the other people there, and Tyler and I promised him he could come with us next year. I think next year we will leave the littler ones with someone for the two days of stuff. We will definitely enjoy it more, since we won't be chasing anyone around. Lydia will be walking and running well by then, and that will just open up a totally different can of worms! :) Although, I think it will be a fun can of worms...

For those of you who don't know about ExtraLife Radio (the podcast), I would recommend it. They talk about movies and games and things like that. It's pretty fun, and there are moments when they make me literally burst out laughing. Check it out on iTunes or on Scott's blog (www.myextralife.com). That's also where one of his webcomics is. Funny stuff! Enjoy!

No comments: