Our Family

Friday, November 20, 2009

More catch up...

It must be done, so here goes...

I have so much to tell you about! It's been crazy around the Hurst household lately, which is partially why my blog has been neglected for so long. I promise I am going to try to be better!

So, since the last post about our family reunion, Nathan started kindergarten, Tristan started 6th grade (which means he's in Jr High now - Ahhhh!!), Logan began his 3rd and final year in preschool, and Lydia started going to nursery at church. I'm not ready for my kids to all be so grown up just yet... :(

So, one at a time:

Nathan began kindergarten, and was off to kind of a rocky start. First there was some confusion about the bus, and it still hasn't been completely settled. Then, Nathan wasn't doing the work that he was assigned - partially due to illness (it seemed like we were sick with some sort of flu or cold for about 2 months) and partially due to Nathan's anxiety and emotional instability at school. Then, we finally were able to help him move past that and we had a meeting with his teacher, which helped a TON! She told us that he was doing fine, but he needed to be better at reading the basic words that they were working on. We explained to her that he's been reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level for almost a year, and that he knows all of those words (words like who, we, go, like, the, and, a, & you). Once she was aware of it, she pushed him a little harder, and finished all of his words in a day. He is now in the accelerated reading program and loving it, since he can read the words he knows and is challenged by (although I don't think Nathan will ever be challenged by a word... he reads scriptures with us and rarely needs help). So now, Nathan is working on his math skills. I have no doubt that he will do just fine! :)














Tristan has begun Jr High, and is actually enjoying school (for the most part) for the first time in years. He is involved in band and art and home ec (that's his favorite so far... he likes sewing - who knew??) as well as the regular subjects. He really enjoys English and Science. He says his English teacher is his favorite. Tristan also participated in football this year again, and enjoyed it a bit more than last year. He now says he wants to go all the way to the NFL and then use the money he makes there to invest (to make more money) and become a video game developer/artist. Tyler and I really think he'll make a great animator. He has so much patience with that kind of thing. He has this program on his computer that is a stick figure animation thing... Tristan will sit there for the longest time and do frame after frame - sometimes hundreds of them to make a little 5 minute movie. His little movies are always funny and very entertaining. I will do another post with more pictures of his football and band adventures later.














Logan is enjoying school this year. He really likes his new school and his new teacher. He also really likes his new bus driver. Her name is Betty, but Logan insists that it's Benny. We all laught about it. Logan's fine motor skills are improving a ton this year! He's actually writing his name and it's legible. I'm so excited! His teacher reports that she thinks he'll be ready for kindergarten next year no problem. This was a huge relief for me to hear. I've always known he was smart, but he just had such a hard time with writing/coloring and all of that stuff. He quickly got the puzzles and blocks and things like that down, but the coloring and writing was so hard for him. But he's always happy and never complains about it, so that's good. He's almost always happy and smiling, which rubs off on everyone around him. He also knows all of his colors, numbers, and letters, which actually puts him ahead of most kids going into kindergarten, so he's ahead of the kids Nathan's age, even though he's almost a year and a half younger.














Lydia is really enjoying nursery. It's kind of funny to watch her in there. She seems like such a social person, even though she has a shy streak, but in nursery she sits and plays with a toy by herself. She doesn't try to interact with the other kids at all. It seems like her favorite part of nursery is singing time, right next to snack time. :) She loves to eat (kind of like her mom...) as long as it's baby cereal (rice is her favorite, but she'll eat the mixed grain too), chicken nuggets, lasagne, or and apple. She has grown so much in the last 2 months that I've had to completely switch out her shoes and a lot of her clothes. She's gone from a size 3 to a size 5... in baby sizes that's equivalent to someone going from a womens size 5 to a womens size 8 or 9. She's also eating like crazy, so I know there's more growing coming. Maybe she'll actually catch up to the other kids her age. She's still so little. She's starting to talk too! Finally... She says "mama" = grandma/mom "mom" = mom, "Dada or Daddy" = daddy, "bapple" = apple, "baby" = baby (this one is super clear!!), "beby buh buh" = belly button, "eye" = eye/eyes, "no" = nose, "no" = no, "m-ow" = mouth, "yeah, mm-hmm" = yeah, mm-hmm - this is the only way she will say yes (she even nods her head while saying it - so cute!), "air" = hair (she'll run her fingers through my hair when she says that one), and she will say other things, but mostly it's a "ba" sound over and over in the pattern of the word. For example, Buzz Lightyear is "ba ba ba" in Lydia-speak... It's still cute though. Everyone keeps telling me to relax, but I'm starting to get a little concerned about her speech, just because she has said several words consistently and then not said them again (just like Nathan did) and she also will only use the "ba" sound over and over again like I mentioned before (just like Nathan did) and she also has a limited vocabulary for her age (just like Nathan did)... Notice a pattern? I really think we should have her tested, but Tyler seems reluctant. He says I'm worrying too much. Anyway... She's doing well. She keeps us on our toes and is super happy most of the time. The other part of the time, she's usually screaming - literally. And her scream is a loud, ear drum rattling, high-pitched scream! She's definitely our little princess, and we love her so much!











So that's about it. I think that covers the stuff that I didn't post between the last post and now...

Hopefully I can keep up from now on.  :)

No comments: